Monday, January 6, 2014

Pivoting on Prayer

January 6, 2014: "I keep my eyes always on the Lord. With Him at my right hand, I will not be shaken." Psalms 16:8

When I think about it, I'm restlessly moving these days, but not really going anywhere. I've been frustrated by that, but this evening I've started to question my thinking. After all, where am I supposed to be going? My life and all the things I need to do, are surrounding me, all within reach. That can feel frantic, but it can be strategic too. I picture a basketball player picking up his dribble. For the rest of that possession, he can only pivot. He can go any direction from that pivot point, but the foot must remain planted. A pivot, while not always the most productive position to be in, can allow a player time to see options, read the opponent, and buy time while a better play opens up.

I think I'm pivoting these days. A year ago I was dribbling along the court of life, just happy to be in the game. My health, and eventual surgery caused a big pause. I still have the ball, but I'm not able to move forward any more right now. This is my time to look at options, survey the opponent, and wait for my God to show me a better play.

I have felt a terrible amount of guilt with this pause. I'm not able to serve in all the capacities I'd like to. I'm not able to do all the things I'm used to being able to do as a wife, a mom, a daughter, a sister, a teacher, or as a friend. I could spend the evening listing the things I can't do, and still not have enough time to name them all. But, my God… Yes, my God is able to do exceedingly, abundantly more than I could ask or even imagine (Ephesians 3:20). So, what does that mean for me right now?

I'm planting my foot in prayer. I'm trusting that the God who CAN, will. I'm choosing to have faith that my gracious Lord will show this girl how to pivot gracefully and strategically. I'm praying that He will direct my next move. Maybe I'm supposed to pass something (or some things) off to someone else. Maybe I'm supposed to take a shot and let go of the ball I'm holding so fiercely. Maybe I'm just supposed to keep waiting for the right opportunity, while guarding myself against the attacks of my opponent. Waiting is hard for me. I don't like the stopping motion because it feels unproductive and useless. What might I learn in this pause? What lessons are waiting for me right here?

It's yet another practice in patience; another opportunity to get quiet and to listen. As long as my foot stays planted in prayer, I believe with my whole heart that the answers will come and God's next play for me will become clear. If I pick up my foot, I risk forfeiting the position God has placed me in. And who knows if He has placed me here for such a time as this? (Esther 4:14) Thankfully, there is no game clock ticking down. I'm going to try to adjust to God's timing during this season, not my own.

"Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen." Ephesians 3:20-21

No comments:

Post a Comment