“O Lord God, You have begun to show Your servant Your greatness and Your mighty hand, for what god is there in heaven or on earth who can do anything like Your works and Your mighty deeds?” Deuteronomy 3:24
Our language is woefully inadequate when trying to express the magnitude of God. I don’t think words exist on the face of our planet that fittingly describe our Creator and Father. I wonder what Heaven will sound like when we are singing His praises. Will there be words to our songs? Will we be gifted with a Heavenly vocabulary that pays due homage to our King of Kings? I hope so. I love the lyrics of Chris Tomlin, but even they fall short of describing our awesome God.
Looking at the verse in Deuteronomy comforts me a little. The writer doesn’t even attempt to label the works and deeds of our Lord God with adjectives. Instead he asks, “...what god is there in heaven or on earth who can do anything like Your works and Your mighty deeds?” They are beyond words. They are beyond my finite understanding. They are beyond anything we could even ask or imagine. Perhaps that’s why one of my favorite names for God throughout all the Bible is “I AM.” Wow. Let that sink in. He is the only one throughout all of creation that was and is and always will be. That’s all I need to know.
The day I was scheduled to meet for my first consultation with the neurosurgeon I opened my daily scripture text. I was so moved by the timeliness of Habakkuk 1:5. “...For I am doing something in your own day, something you wouldn’t believe even if someone told you about it.” And at that moment I was convicted and encouraged all at once. I had spent weeks craving answers and a picture of how everything would play out. I felt I needed that so I could better prepare and wait. The words sat before me, almost mocking me. It was as if God was whispering to me, “Jill, even if you knew everything you wouldn’t believe it. I’m doing something bigger here. Your comfort doesn’t come from what you know, but from who you know.” There it was in black and white. He was (and is) doing something in my day. I don’t know what that is, per se, but I trust it. I know His character. I have witnessed His works and His deeds. And all I can do is buckle up. He’s doing something in this day.
God, don’t let me miss you at work. You are the God of my salvation. Thank you for hearing me, and for allowing me to bear witness to who You are. I know my words fall short of describing Your might and Your sovereignty. You are my hiding place and my shield; I hope in Your word. (Ps. 119:114) I give myself fully to you. Amen.
“Therefore I will look to the Lord; I will wait for the God of my salvation; My God will hear me.” Micah 7:7
No comments:
Post a Comment