Thursday, June 6, 2013

Immeasurable Peace

June 6, 2013: "I keep my eyes always on the Lord. With Him at my right hand, I will not be shaken." Psalms 16:8

“You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you.” Isaiah 26:3

Life can be challenging, can’t it? I mean, one minute we’re strolling along, working, playing, living, and the next minute we’re facing a monstrous boulder of difficulty. My pastor shared a great illustration of that in a sermon not too long ago during which he describes his experience of driving in Gatlinburg. He turns off into what appears to be a parking lot, but is in reality a ditch. The bottom just falls out when we least expect it. 

Well, we’ve hit a ditch. I have to admit, this is not a ravine. It’s not a cliff. It’s not even a “Bridge Out Ahead.” It is, however, a ditch. The bottom has fallen out temporarily and it would be easy to throw our hands up and freak out. We just haven’t. Rather, God has given us an immeasurable amount of peace during this time. It’s not the “I know everything is going to be back to normal” kind of peace, because, frankly, we don’t know that it is. I can say, however, that it is more than a feeling. (Now I can’t get the Boston song out of my head!) 

I don’t understand how peace works. I just know Who it comes from. I also know that when I’m spending time with my Father, my heart is more at peace. When I’m not with Him, I tend to fret. Now, I’m no genius (regardless of the fact that my brain is too big for my skull), but even I can figure out there’s a connection between the state of our hearts during storms and the One whom even the winds obey (Matthew 8). 

You see, He speaks and the world begins. He commands and the seas obey. He promises and man is redeemed. He touches and people are healed. He blesses the bread and thousands are fed. He explains the scripture and the Emmaus Road is never the same. He shows up in my storms and bids me to trust Him and I do. I do because He has never broken a promise. In John 14:27, Jesus assures us, “Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.” And when God assures, you can bet my heart takes shelter.

I’m ready for Friday; not because I know that I will be okay. Again, I don’t. I’m ready because My Father, able to heal, already holds the future in His hands. And you know what else? In this world we will have trouble, but HE has overcome the world! (John 16:33)

No comments:

Post a Comment