Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The Beautiful Body of Christ

June 5, 2013: "I keep my eyes always on the Lord. With Him at my right hand, I will not be shaken." Psalms 16:8


Today’s entry is more about recording my blessings than sharing any new truths revealed to me. It’s more about remembering than reflecting. I mentioned in an earlier entry that most people I talk to view my diagnosis as just plain weird. And it is. I can’t argue with that. In fact, it’s why when my husband, daughters, and I tell people about my upcoming brain surgery, we smirk. Not because it’s funny (it’s NOT), but because we can hardly believe we’re saying the words. 

In the midst of this, I’ve been struck by how little I’ve shed tears. I am typically a pretty emotional gal. Give me a good Hallmark commercial or Disney movie, and I’m a puddle. Need someone to celebrate with you or cry with you? I’m your girl. However, this journey, which has been life-changing, has produced nearly drought-ridden tear ducts. I have viewed it as a blessing, really. God has spared me from feeling too overwhelmed or fraught with emotion to function. He has given me the ability to speak about it, even the scary stuff, in a very matter-of-fact manner. That is, until it comes to the overwhelming kindness of His people. Tell me about those praying for me and I’m a mess. Come home to a surprise waiting for me from a group of Boy Scouts? I’m a sloppy combination of sobs and laughter. See the name of a precious friend I’ve lost touch with on a meal calendar and I’m thrown into a fit of tears. Yes, God’s people are amazing. Here are just some of the ways we’ve been blessed:
  • Meal Calendar set up
  • Prayers from students, their parents, staff members, strangers from my dad’s military days, churches from the area and in my hometown
  • Surprise gardening from a group of boys and their families
  • Freezer stock-up
  • Rides for my daughters
  • The kindness of teachers covering my class
  • Cute jammies for the hospital
  • Hydrangea full of gift cards from my third graders
  • A freshly-mown lawn
  • A prayer shawl delivered as a tangible reminder of God’s cloaking presence
  • Encouraging phone calls, text messages, and Facebook shout-outs
  • Get well cards from unexpected places
  • Pretty haircut (complete with shaven cross)

I find myself singing the kid’s song Count Your Blessings as I type. Beyond that, I’m inspired to love others well; to live out my faith when it comes to taking care of others. I pray I will be able to do that soon. I’m looking forward to being on the other side of this, to being the hands and feet of Jesus. In the meantime, Philippians 1:3 stays with me. “I thank my God upon every remembrance of you.”

No comments:

Post a Comment