Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Thanking God for What Isn't

May 30, 2013: "I keep my eyes always on the Lord. With Him at my right hand, I will not be shaken." Psalms 16:8

“Rejoice always, pray continuously, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

I’ve always marveled at God’s people who maintain a heart of thankfulness even when life is hard. It has always been such a beautiful witness of the power of Christ in us! In fact, the part of those verses that has always spoken into my life is that we are to give thanks in all circumstances. That’s why believers’ positive take in negative situations is such a powerful testimony. What God is teaching me in these days is that He has given me so much to be thankful for right now. Each disease or condition or malignancy the doctors ruled out is a reason to celebrate, to be thankful. And so I am. 

I admit I’m puzzled at the the human condition that causes us to miss the opportunity to thank God when our hearts should be most grateful. I guess that’s why the story of the ten lepers in Luke 17 continues to speak to us today. Jesus healed ten lepers and only one came back to thank Him. Jesus said to the man, “Were there not ten cleansed? But where are the nine? Were there not any found who returned to give glory to God except this foreigner?” (vv. 17-18) I think the other nine were ecstatic. They were probably busy making their way home to their families, to their towns. They may have talked about how thankful they were for the Nazarene who healed them, but failed to thank the Nazarene Himself. Am I not the same? Ouch. It would be natural to skip over the fact that God has spared me from several dreadful things. I could talk about it, and even give lip service to how glad I am it is not...(you fill in the blank). However, God has chosen, in His mercy, to bring me to knees of gratitude, thanking Him for what isn’t. I trust Him with what is, regardless of what is still to come.

One of my high school small group girls seemed to sense my heartbeat and texted the following verses to me: “Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard our hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7. Truthfully, Jaclyn may not have known the beat of my heart, but God always does.

No comments:

Post a Comment